By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

The same 'wind' blows on us all!

johnthesearcher

johnthesearcher

5 Positive Things to Do To Remove Negative Thinking. (some of it at least)

"You will find yourself refreshed by the presence of cheerful people. Why not make earnest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy."

Lydia M. Child
1802-1880, Abolitionist and Writer

My colleagues often refer to me as a serial optimist and 'born again' searcher of good things..... well I'm fine with that! hence the avatar ...... john the searcher.

How long would I keep looking? ........ as long as it takes - would be my response.

Obviously there are things that happen.....events in our lives that will test us and it is only natural to become sad or think negatively during those periods but as we are all aware that time heals and we deal with them in what ever way we can and then move on.

I use the tagline below for my business in an effort to put the above into perspective....... for me at least! Read it by all means .....but don't watch me closely - as I'm still working on it.

'the difference between ordinary and extraordinary ....... is simply that little bit EXTRA! and sometimes that's all it takes ....... is a little bit extra ...... a little more effort........ a little more positive and a little less pessimistic and negative (each and every day)

One of the key principles or recommendation on how to remove most of our negative thinking is that we have a choice of how we invest our time and energy both at home and at work. We can focus on the negative or the positive.

We can focus on problems or use those problems - as objects of change - to create effective and lasting solutions.

It’s all about our intention, our focus and our attitude. Bad attitudes create bad results and good attitudes always create good results. And since one of the best ways to get rid of a bad or poor attitude is to replace it with a good one, here are 5 positive things we can TRY each day to stay positive.

Remember that it's not altitude that determines how high we will go ........ but ATTITUDE!

1. Be Grateful. Research shows that when we are thankful for the things we have, we get a measurable boost in happiness that keeps us going. It’s also physiologically impossible to be stressed and thankful at the same time, just the same as you can't smile ..... I mean ....... really smile and be angry at the same time. :001_tt2:

Two thoughts cannot occupy our mind at the same time, so if you are focusing on gratitude, you can’t be negative.

2. Encourage Others. Instead of complaining about what others are doing wrong, start focusing on what they are doing right then watch as they get better as a result.

3. Focus on Success. Start a success journal. Each night before you go to bed, write down the one great thing about your day. The one great conversation, accomplishment, or change in attitude that you are most
proud of.

Focus on your success, and it will become a habit which can be life changing.

4. Do What You Can and Let Go. Focus on the things that you have the power to change, and let go of the things that are beyond your control, the things you can't do or can't get done. You’ll be amazed that when you stop trying to control everything, it all somehow works out and you find more focus and ultimately more time.

5. Learn From Each Day. Scientific research shows us that ........ a few simple disciplines practiced every day help to reduce stress; boost positive energy; and promote health, vitality, and longevity. When you are faced with the urge to complain or you are feeling stressed ......... stop, be still, clear your mind and smile.

Think 'sunshine'

John

E

Ed McCosh

Great post as usual John, totally agree.

Our attitude plays a very big part in determining our success. Skills are important but success is far more down to attitude.

'Tough times don't last, but tough people do' :)

A study showed that 90% of nuns who were most cheerful were still alive at 85 yrs old compared to just 34% of least cheerful.

In another study a life insurance company found that their salesmen in the top 50% for optimism made 37% more sales.

Similarly, those in the top 10% for optimism made 88% more sales than the lowest 10% (the pessimists.)

So being positive is clearly good for your wallet as well as your health!