By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Separating Work And Home

LucidCaledonia

LucidCaledonia

For those of us that run home-based businesses, we can all appreciate the benefits (more freedom, lack of commute, less overheads) but one thing that gets a lot of us is separating the two.

Unfortunately being pushed for space I do not have a separte 'office' within the home, and use the same computer for work as I do recreation. This can be problematic.

What do you do to keep that boundary between home/work when working from home?

I find that unless you set a daily schedule, and stick to it religiously you will find yourself distracted. By all means give yourself a generous lunch break (you can because you're your own boss) but stick to it. I also find that it's best not to start with recrational stuff, and do work first, because starting on recreational stuff can just lead to a slippery slope, especially when things are not urgent and you trick yourself into putting them off until later.