Dismiss Notice
A very warm welcome to the site :)

Please feel free to browse the forums at your leisure. If you'd like to post a new thread on the forums or respond to an existing thread you are required to sign up as a new member.

Dont worry though as registration is FREE!

<<<JOIN HERE!>>>

Why Don't Apple Use Social Media?

Discussion in 'Marketing and Sales' started by Businessman, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Businessman

Businessman Member

I'm no Apple fan. In fact personally, I don't own and don't want a single Apple product. We don't use them in our studio, never have - I doubt if we ever will...

What I do find interesting about them though is how they create and sustain the Apple myth! And here's an interesting commentary on just one aspect of it.

2. MarkB

MarkB Administrator Staff Member

I found that extremely interesting - not something I have ever thought of before. Makes you think ;)

3. Businessman

Businessman Member

It's worth noting that this doesn't seem to be the result of any great prescience on the part of these brands; a dozen or so years ago there was concern in some circles that the new forms of social media platform would become 'echo chambers for the ignorant the rudderless and the mentally feeble' - indeed, some said that was part and parcel of their design and purpose! - So the decision that this 'wasn't a wining game' for those at the 'top end' of the market seems to have been quite a calculated one!

4. MarkB

MarkB Administrator Staff Member

What better way to make your brand stand out from the masses than essentially ignoring social media :)

The way in which the worldwide media hangs on every comment from Apple shows how successful this strategy has been. However, Apple still make mistakes in business - but as they say in the pharma industry, they bury their dead at night when nobody can see.

5. Businessman

Businessman Member

Apple make many mistakes... There is a good reason why, for instance, in what is essentially an engineering-lead business, and flying in the face of convention, we do not now and never have used Apple products.

It's significant though that in marketing terms the clever money adopted a similar strategy. - One might even say ironic that the company that dines out on style over substance, feasts on its rejection at home. :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. cruzo

cruzo Member

I guess that they making enough money already without social media, their products not cheap that not everybody can afford it.