Dismiss Notice
A very warm welcome to the site :)

Please feel free to browse the forums at your leisure. If you'd like to post a new thread on the forums or respond to an existing thread you are required to sign up as a new member.

Dont worry though as registration is FREE!

<<<JOIN HERE!>>>

Today's Scam Emails...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Matt Quinn, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn Caledonian TV
    Staff Member

I suppose we all get them - 'phishing' emails. Most are easily detectable, others not so. So, I thought I'd start a wee thread in which any 'fresh' ones that pop into your in box that might-almost have got you, can be rounded up!

Today's shaft of wit comes from "LinkedIn Security" and is entitled "Account High Restricted [150316-0078581221]"

It reads...

Dear LinkedIn Customer,

Our system has detected irregular activity related to your Account, as a precautionary measure, certain limitations may be placed on your account in accordance of the user agreement and privacy policy.

To regain access without any interruption to LinkedIn account, please Click Here to login your Account, you will be redirected by our Security / Customer support to help you re-validate and keep your Account safe for potential risk.

Please follow Instruction given to you precisely to make sure you continue having the best experience possible on LinkedIn.

This Email is Subject to mandatory follow, Failure to comply would lead to Permanent closure of Account.

Thanks for helping us keep your Account safe.

Regards,

Your LinkedIn Customer Experience Team

LinkedIn Trust & Safety

Nice try lads... Thing is... I don't HAVE a LinkedIn account! Doh!

For those that do... Well one of the more obvious 'tells' is that the link (disabled here of course) takes you to a URL - on ouourl.c*m, which is a masking/shortening service.

2. The biggest giveaway for me is the fact they never know your name:-

Dear LinkedIn Customer,

Sometimes they will use your email as a username to give it some "creditability" but I get dozens of PayPal ones addressed to non-descript names lol

Matt Quinn likes this.
  3. Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn Caledonian TV
    Staff Member

Got one of these this morning 'from Netflix'...

"We recently failed to validate your payment information we hold on record for your account,
    therefore we need to ask you to complete a brief validation process in order to verify your billing and payment details."

:rolleyes: - Nope! I ain't got a Netflix account either.

The person who has posted the following explains it far better than I could.

https://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/netflix-phishing-campaigns-continue/

4. You have to wonder how successful these people would be if they put their creative "talents" to work in a legal profession :)

Matt Quinn likes this.
  5. I have seen my friends receiving these scam emails e.g. the one about winning the European Lottery - one someone has never heard of. They asked my advice about what to do as they had never even entered the lottery! I said delete the email and forget about it otherwise you will regret it. Now these were sensible level headed people - can you imagine someone who was maybe not as switched on or in a desperate financial situation receiving these emails? Scary stuff!

6. Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn Caledonian TV
    Staff Member

That's what troubles me... Many of them are plainly ridiculous. But that Netflix one (for example) could well take someone in.