Dismiss Notice
A very warm welcome to the site :)

Please feel free to browse the forums at your leisure. If you'd like to post a new thread on the forums or respond to an existing thread you are required to sign up as a new member.

Dont worry though as registration is FREE!

<<<JOIN HERE!>>>

Double Standards from HMRC?

Discussion in 'Finance & Accounting' started by Scottish Business Owner, Apr 17, 2008.

1. UHY Hacker Young have used the Freedom of Information Act to discover details of HM Revenue & Customs' expenses regime, which shows its 83,000 staff can run up expenses for items such as meals, hotel accommodation and travel without submitting receipts.

More information here HMRC accused of double standards - Accountancy Age

Am I the only one that finds this incredible. Working in the industry I do I have been through a number of HMRC visits and been questioned about hotel bills etc and brought to task whenever there was a lack of itemised receipts. This smacks of double standards at the highest level :mad:

2. nothing does

nothing does Member

That's terrible! But they will no doubt wriggle out of this one.

3. There must be some kind of external audit process that picks this kind of thing up. One rule for them and one for the rest of us.

4. Not civil and nobody's servant....

I've one particular friend who in her mis-spent youth worked with C&E's VAT section... She told me once that all her colleagues were either mentally ill or at it! Being a nice, honest stable woman she could only stick it for short while....

5. Boxby

Boxby Member

I've hope they've completely disallowed any claim which includes alcohol!!!

6. stressmom

stressmom Member

Probably not if there is anyway that it can be written up as a business dinner. I hate to see these abuses of the system happen as well, as it makes it tough for everyone else to really justify what these people are doing.

7. Needhelp

Needhelp Member

Its the same for politicians, they get a set monthly budget for food and dont have to submit any receipts. If they dont spend it then they can pocket more free tax payers money. Dont get me started on flipping their "main residence" - another anomaly in favour of the politicians.

8. selfemployed

selfemployed Super Moderator

Is it not time for a total overhaul of the expenses system?

It is now too large with no focus and business people are missing out on valid claims because of the uncertainty. I leave all of this in the hands of my accountant to be honest but it is still good to have a broad understanding.

Businessman likes this.
  9. Km Benjamin

Km Benjamin Member

I think we should read full details then go for a decision, HMRC never did this as We are working with them, Clients contacts us through HMRC