Dismiss Notice
A very warm welcome to the site :)

Please feel free to browse the forums at your leisure. If you'd like to post a new thread on the forums or respond to an existing thread you are required to sign up as a new member.

Dont worry though as registration is FREE!

<<<JOIN HERE!>>>

Did You Get Any Assistance From The Authorities When Setting Up Your Business?

Discussion in 'Starting a business in Scotland? Introductions' started by Needhelp, Feb 24, 2018.

1. While we have all seen the headlines suggesting there are millions of pounds to invest in small businesses in Scotland, how much of that money actually makes its way into the business arena? From a personal point of view I received no assistance whatsoever when setting up my business, no tax relief and certainly no taxpayer funded loans. I do wonder how many people actually receive financial assistance from the authorities or is this just a political football to kick around?

Personally, I think it makes perfect sense to help fund small businesses because those which are successful will more than pay their way in the shape of taxes and their role in the overall Scottish economy.
    Businessman likes this.
  2. Nope... Not a blind penny! Not even when I was younger and trying to set up on my own from a flat in the Red Road, where I was raised the son of a single parent. - Seems the 'help' is only available if you 'kick wi' the right fit' In fact there have been times when 'the authorities' locally have been positively obstructive; and I've gathered a few tales over the years.

Political football sums it up in my experience!
    Needhelp likes this.
  3. Rather than spending for example £12 billion on a failed NHS computer system, why not invest but fraction of that into people who want to build a successful business? The money wasted by governments is an absolute scandal and could be far better spent by those who know what they are doing. I also have to laugh when politicians talk about “giving us” money when in reality it is the taxpayer’s money!
    Businessman likes this.